Headlines, News Releases and Consumer AlertsThe following articles and news releases provide information about government programs and activities related to integrated pest management, pesticide safety or environmental issues related to pesticides. They may also include information about emerging pest issues, preventing the spread of invasive organisms or minimizing the impact of pesticides on the environment. The list of headlines has been narrowed to select articles which discuss recent issues (past two years) or issues which remain relevant. Older articles may be included, especially if they present information related to pesticide safety, consumer awareness or integrated pest management. A link is provided to view other releases from the various agencies and programs.
Virginia Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services (VDACS)
Office of Pesticide Services (OPS)Virginia Department of Health (VDH)
- Program Removes More than 62,000 Pounds of Unwanted Pesticides from the State (January 4, 2016)
- Virginia Program Keeps Nearly 167,000 Pounds of Plastic Pesticide Containers from Landfills (December 18, 2015)
- Steps to Avoid the Introduction and Spread of Invasive Species (March 26, 2015)
Office of Veterinary Services (OVS)
- Control Mosquitoes to Protect Horses and People (May 23, 2016)
To view other VDACS press releases click here.
- The End of Summer Doesn't Mean the End of Mosquitoes (August 26, 2015)
- Health Officials Remind Virginians to Practice Healthy Swimming Behaviors Throughout the Summer (August 13, 2011)
- Protecting Yourself Against the Asian Tiger Mosquito (July 2, 2009)
To view other VDH press releases visit the VDH Press Releases page.
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention (OCSPP)
- New EPA Total Release Fogger Videos Encourage Safe Use Practices (May 8, 2012)
- EPA Launches Bed Bug Information Clearinghouse (April 23, 2012)
- EPA has a new resource directory about pesticides for consumers (March 16, 2012)
- Alert to Homeowners, Landscape and Pest Control Professionals: Grass Clippings Treated and Trees Injured by Herbicide Imprelis Should not Be Used for Composting or Mulching (August 16, 2011)
- EPA Warns Online Shoppers about Illegal, Harmful Pesticide Sales (March 21, 2011)
- Poison Prevention Week: EPA Warns, “Children Act Fast..So Do Poisons.” (March 16, 2011)
- Winterize Your Home Against Old Man Winter and Pests (November 10, 2010)
- EPA Pesticide Database to Aid Consumers in Controlling Bed Bugs (October 6, 2010)
- Consumer Alert: EPA Advises Care When Selecting Pesticides for Bedbug Control (August 10, 2010)
- New Bed Bug Web Page Available (May 14, 2010)
- EPA to Increase Restrictions on Flea and Tick Products. Cautions consumers to use products with extra care. (March 17, 2010)
- EPA: Keep Pesticides and Household Chemicals Out of Children’s Reach (March 11, 2010)
- New Public Service Announcement on Rodent Management (January 22, 2010)
- Consumer Alert: Unscrupulous Vendors Market Unapproved Flu Disinfectant Products (November 30, 2009)
- New EPA Information on Insect Repellents (October 20, 2009)
- Prevent Poisonings: Lock Up Pesticides (March 16, 2009)
To view other pesticide related News Releases from OCSPP click here.
EPA's Greening the Apple Blog
To view other Greening the Apple blog entries click here.
- Fruit Orchard Growers Find that Disrupting the Apple Pest Mating Leads to Better Fruit (April 11, 2016)
- Moisture in Matt's Apartment: Plumbing Problems Lead to Pests (March 22, 2016)
- Improving Rodent Control Using Biomonitoring Baits in NYC (January 27, 2016)
National Capital Poison Center (NCPC)
The Poison Post -The Poison Post is a free, quarterly e-newsletter from the National Capital Poison Center. The articles provide tips and information which is intended to reduce pesticide poisonings.
- Mosquitoes (June 2015)
- Brown Recluse Spider Bites (October 2014)
- Poison Ivy, Poison Oak and Poison Sumac (October 2014)
- Mouse and Rat Poisons (October 2007)
To view other Poison Post articles click here.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Prevent Mosquito Bites (June 23, 2014)
- Stop Ticks: DEET, Showers, and Tick Checks Can Stop Ticks (June 13, 2014)
- CDC Health Advisory-Health Concerns about the Misuse of Pesticides for Bed Bug Control (November 2012)
- Waterborne Diseases Could Cost over $500 Million Annually in U.S. (July 14, 2010)
- Pool Inspection Data Shows Need for Improvement (May 20, 2010)
- Pool Chemical Injuries Send Thousands to ER Each Year (May 14, 2009)
To view other CDC Press Releases, Media Advisories, Statements and Transcripts visit their Newsroom.
- Tick Talk Block Bites and Lyme Disease (May 2014, NIH News in Health)
Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
- FTC Warns: Ineffective Bed Bug Treatments Can Take a Bite Out of Consumers' Wallets (April 8, 2011)
- FTC Takes Action Against Companies Marketing Allegedly Unproven Natural Bed Bug and Head Lice Treatments (September 10, 2012)
- Marketers of Unproven Bed Bug and Head Lice Treatments Settle FTC Charges (July 16, 2013)
U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS)
- USDA Releases 2010 Annual Summary of Pesticide Data Program (May 25, 2012)
- USDA Releases 2009 Annual Summary of Pesticide Data Program (May 24, 2011)
Agricultural Research Service (ARS)
- Chesapeake Bay Pesticides: Some Diminish, Some Persist (July 7, 2011)
- Researchers Study Pesticide Pathways into the Atmosphere (July 12, 2011)
- USDA Says Residents Make a Difference in Reducing Plant Pests and Diseases (August 1, 2011)
- USDA Urges Residents to be on the Lookout for the Asian Longhorned Beetle (June 29, 2011)
To view other USDA News Releases visit the USDA Newsroom.
- Weed Science Society of America (WSSA) Releases New Education Materials on Weeds
- WSSA Pesticide Stewardship Series-The Pesticide Buyer has Important Responsibilities
- WSSA Pesticide Stewardship Series-Safety Begins at the Point of Sale
To view other WSSA Press Releases visit their Press Room.